<VV> RE: Ignitor II followup

Anil Mittal anil@anil.com
Wed, 26 May 2004 15:58:45 -0400

See responses below:

>From: NicolCS@aol.com
>>There are two "legal" Pertronix hook-ups:
>>A) Ignition coil runs from ballast (resistor wire) AND Pertronix
>runs from
>>ballast (resistor wire)
>>OR
>>B) Ignition coil runs from ballast (resistor wire), Pertronix runs
>from
>>switched 12v sourced from the bulkhead connector.
>>
>>In my understanding, it's a no-no to run the coil without a
>resistor.  Excess
>>current can fry the Pertronix and the coil can overheat.

  I am using an Ignitor II and Flame Thrower II coil. According to
the directions from Pertronix I should bypass the resistor wire so
that full running voltage is supplied to both the coil and the
Ignitor. I spoke with Pertronix today and they want to see at least 8
volts at the coil + when you ground the -, I have 9.6 so this is in
spec according to them. The next thing they asked me to check was the
voltage at the + side of the coil while the engine is cranking.

>>   Should I move the plug wires in the cap to advance the timing so
>>that I have more adjustment in the distributor and just drive it or
>>will I do some harm? Thank you for any help. Anil

Thanks, I may try this. Bob H also suggested that I put the balancer
at TDC and then check to see if the rotor is close to pointing at the
#1 spark plug tower. In a was I am hoping it is not so that I have a
root cause of all this trouble.

Thanks for your help.

Anil