<VV> Fw: Differential & Transmission oil levels

Daniel Monasterio dmonasterio@megared.net.mx
Sat, 29 May 2004 12:05:40 -0500

Group,
    I have been a Corvair nut since 1968 but, ready to learn new things about
Corvairs.
    Three weeks ago I took off my 62 Rampside's power train to reseal engine,
changing 4 sp.transmission and diff. bearings. As usual, checked oil passages
between diff. and transmission (the upper one and the one on middle position)
before making the gasket. I thought for a while on the oil levels, which seem
to be different, higher on transmission than on differential. The middle hole
looks as the high point for transmission oil while the filler plug at left of
differential sets diff. level. So, the transmission oil level is, say, one
inch higher than diff. oil level. The higher level on transmission is obtained
by the oil splashed by the ring gear thru the upper hole (or passage) while
the vehicle is moving forward, giving enough oil to the transmission, even if
the differential becomes low in oil. Am I right ?
    Last week I took off the power train from the 67 Cpe. (140, 4sp.) to
switch from 3.55 to 3.27 diff. and fix a leaking exhaust valve on the engine.
Having still fresh on my mind the early diff.-transmission assembly, I payed
attention to the holes between transmission and differential. Eureka !!, they
are quite different as, there is a bottom passage which (obviously) allows for
same oil level on both.
    I am sure these differences (among others) between Earlys and Lates should
be well known for many Corvair enthusiasts but, new to me as I don't remember
having readed about this.
    Hope to have been enough clear as English is not my native language.

    Saludos a todos desde Mexico

    Daniel

    62, 110, 3.55, 4sp., customized Rampside
    67, 140, 3.27, 4sp., customized Cpe.