<VV> A/C

N. Joseph Potts pottsf@msn.com
Sun, 30 May 2004 12:39:44 -0400

I have no experience of the 1965 condenser, but in order to install a
1966-style condenser, you will have to evacuate and recharge the refrigerant
circuit of your system. This requires a lot of specialized skills and
equipment. If my system, with 65-style consender, were working, I think I
would NOT intervene until it became necessary for other reasons (e.g.,
compressor failure) to evacuate and recharge the system.
     That said, the 66 condenser works as well as the 65, but otherwise
neither better nor worse so far as I've heard. It provides a huge advantage
in terms of access to the engine for service/inspection. If I were you, I
think I WOULD acquire a 1966 condenser for installation when it is necessary
for other reasons to open the refrigeration circuit. I think at such time,
I'd also seriously consider replacing the compressor with a Sanden-type
compressor (requires different mounting bracket). That change to the
66-style condenser, however, should be VERY rewarding on a go-forward basis.

Joe Potts
Miami, Florida USA
1966 Corsa coupe 140hp 4-speed with A/C

-----Original Message-----
From: virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org
[mailto:virtualvairs-admin@corvair.org]On Behalf Of Stephen Upham
Sent: Sunday, May 30, 2004 10:03 AM
To: virtualvairs@corvair.org
Subject: <VV> A/C

I have a '65 Monza with factory A/C which has the overhanging
condenser.  I'm in the process of rebuilding the engine.  What are the
advantages/disadvantages of changing to the '66 style condenser.  Does
it cool as well as or better than the '65 and does it keep the engine
cooler because it does not cover the engine?  Would it be expensive and
could a non-mechanic, such as myself, handle it.  This is a nice car,
but I'm not looking to keep in stock in every way just so I can say
it's stock if it makes sense to change something, ie dual master
cylinder and nicer, safer, and more comfortable seats, ect.

Stephen Upham
Dallas, Texas

Mid prod. #187508 -1965 Monza sedan 110, Sierra Tan - Saddle, PG, A/C,
original AM/FM, clock, tint, oil bath air filter, w/ 77K