<VV> Matching Engine Numbers

NicolCS@aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Mon, 31 May 2004 11:02:48 EDT

Sure, I agree completely, having all the right pieces and having the right,
original, appearance is important to me too. I like to have my Corvairs and
Corvette put together with all the right pieces and fasteners; it sounds like you
do too. We aren't alone.

The Corvette "number" game is a little different than mere research or the
fun of discovery.  In the Corvette number game, the little date-code etched into
your mirror becomes really important. If it is closer than a week before the
assembly date of your car, even though your mirror is perfect original, you
might get a 50% deduction.  Does that sound like fun?  How about a 50% deduction
for the wrong date codes on the diodes of your correct, actual original
alternator?

Kent is working on decoding the body tag information for '65s.  This is a
GREAT project and one that will be of great interest and benefit to all of us.
However, if we aren't careful, we could end up using this knowledge to hurt
ourselves and others.  In the Corvette world, if you install ANYTHING that isn't
on the body tag, that item becomes a zero-point value.  Forget your AM-FM
multiplex, quick steering, deluxe belts, and any other thing that isn't on the
tag. Color change?  Interior change?  Engine swap (even identical year) No way.
If you purchase a replacement 140 head you can't just go by the correct part
number, you will have to find one with the right casting date (+/- a few DAYS)
and you will have to buy in pairs.  I don't want this for our Corvair world. I
don't think many would sign up for this insanity if they had any idea where
it could lead.  Am I alone on this?
Craig Nicol

<snip>Judging from the number of questions asked weekly on this list I'd say
you
were deluding yourself if you thought people in the Corvair rhelm didn't care
if
numbers matched.  There are too many variables out there not to care.  Who
wants a turbo bolted to a 80hp engine or  your Corsa with a 140 PG engine?
The
variables are unending!  It's serious business no matter whether you're
buying
a project or a dead stock low mileage car. Bruce Webster <unsnip>