<VV> Matching Engine Numbers

Bill Hubbell Bill Hubbell" <whubbell@umich.edu
Mon, 31 May 2004 11:33:39 -0400

For the record, CORSA Concours rules state that:

'Vehicles in Factory Stock Original and Factory Stock Restored are expected
to have "matching numbers."  Date coded items such as engine, transaxle,
carburetors, alternator, glass, etc. *may* be checked for consistency and
their relation to the body build date, Paint, trim and accessory codes *may*
also be verified.'

In practice, it seems that date codes are not really checked.  Still, I went
to great pains when restoring my FS sedan to meet these requirements.

But unless you are really a nut like myself, Rich Thompson, or a few others
who want to compete in these stock classes, it doesn't really matter what
parts or codes you put in your car.  We are fortunate that CORSA has
provided a Concours for people of all interests to compete in.

As far as decoding the accessory codes, those of us who are working on that
project are doing it mostly for the fun of the hunt.  Also, many people want
to know what those letters and numbers mean.  finally, it does fit in with
our mission as an organization dedicated to the "preservation, restoration,
and operation of the Corvair".

Bill Hubbell