<VV> Ice & Snow

Ewell Mills emills5@cfl.rr.com
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 08:26:56 -0500

Since I live in sunny Florida, I can only sympathize with those that live in
the ice and snow belt.  I haven't always lived in Florida, and did spend
several winters in northern New York, so I know what it is like. In 1960,  I
bought one of the very first production 1960 Monza coupes.  I was living in
Columbus, Ga. at the time, and we experienced a rather bad ice storm.  My
driveway was on a slight incline, and the drive and car was covered in ice.  I
managed to thaw out the door locks and windshield with hot water.  It cranked
just fine, and with the gas heater that came in the 60 model, the interior was
toasty warm in a matter of minutes, but in no way was that Corvair going to
move up that incline, not even an inch. (They all came with belted tires back
then, and I doubt if one could have even bought a snow tire or studded tire in
Georgia) Needless to say I missed work.  My only other real experience with
ice was in the 50's while I was stationed in Virginia.  I managed to slide off
the road on an ice covered 90 degree turn, slid right trough a gas station,
and a 1963 Chevrolet took the blunt of my stopping.  Since I bent the tire rod
severely, I had to jack the car up and put blocks under the tie rod and let
the car back down on it to try and straighten it. (That was a cold and
hazardous maneuver).  After getting it to about 2" toe out, I managed to make
it back to the base.  Youse guys can have it...I think I will stay in Florida
with it's sweltering summers.

Cecil Mills
Cocoa, Fl.
1965 Monza Contv. w/A/C  (To be able to survive our Summers).
1967 Monza Coupe w/A/C  (Ditto)