<VV> Wisconsin to Texas cross country

Brad Rose bradsdecks@yahoo.com
Mon, 1 Nov 2004 06:41:51 -0800 (PST)

I just wanted to say a quick "thanks" to all who responded to my request a few weeks ago searching for a 64 Convertible to buy.  I was sent several messages with good advice and several with cars for sale.  I did end up finding "just what the doctor ordered" in Wisconsin and flew to Madison last Tuesday where the owner met me at the airport with the car.  45 minutes after landing, I was on the road to Texas.  Unfortunately the weather was horrible!  Such a nice car that I don't think had been driven in the rain since its restoration, I hated like everything to drive it in those conditions, but I had to get it home.  I spent 11 hours on the road each day, the first day was in solid rain for the entire day, and the second day it rained for about half the trip.  All total, I spent $91.68 for 43.323 gallons of gas in 7 fuel stops to drive 1110 miles (539 the first day and 571 the second) in 22 hours for an average speed of 42.69 mph (including food, fuel and pit stops) and with an
 average fuel economy of 24.76 mpg (best leg was 26.9 mpg and worst leg was 23.2 mpg).  Amazing what 22 hours alone in a Corvair with a calculator leads too!  At any rate, the car did great...  never missed a beat, and was well received when I got it home as it was a birthday present for my girlfriend who has wanted an early convertible ever since I took her to her first Corvair rally 3 years ago.  We had great "convertible" weather here in Texas this past weekend and must have put a good 300 miles or so on the car with the top down.  My first car was a 62 Corvair 500 when I was in high school and it's fun being back in the ranks of Corvair owners.

Thanks to Roy (seller) and the list, Brad Rose, Rockwall, TX