<VV> ignition problem

Larry Forman Larry@Forman.net
Mon, 01 Nov 2004 18:40:00 -0800

At 11:36 AM 11/1/2004 -0600, Kinzelman, Andy wrote:
>Guys,
>We've been working on a 63 Monza 102/PG.  It has new points, plugs, coil,
>dist cap, wires, & condenser.  The plugs & points are gapped to spec; the
>car is static timed.
>The car didn't want to start, so we replaced the resistor wire with a
>ballast resistor.  It still didn't want to start very easily, so we ran a
>switched 12V direct from the battery to the coil.
>The car runs like a turd through the resistor, but runs OK with the full
>12V.  We haven't checked the voltage through the resistor, but I'm
>guessing there is a problem in the switch, or wiring.
>Any ideas?
>Thanks,
>Andy K.

Hi Andy,
Here are some things to check:
1. Get or borrow a DVM and measure the voltage on both sides of the
ignition coil to ground.  When starting the coil positive should be 12
volts and drop to maybe 6-9 when running.  Measure the negative side when
the car is stopped and you slowly rotate the crank pulley with the ignition
ON, but the wheels blocked.  Make DARN sure the emergency brake is ON and
someone would be there to step on the brake if the engine started.  You
should see the voltage on the negative terminal of the coil go from ZERO
when the points are closed to the same voltage as on the positive terminal,
since no current is flowing when the points are OPEN.
2. If the car runs OK with the 12 volts to the coil, that pretty well rules
out a slipped harmonic balancer or slipped crank gear.  If it runs not too
well otherwise, these should be checked when you run out of other things to
check.
3. I would suspect either a faulty points plate ground or a worn points
plate.  Swapping it out might be another approach.  OR, take a clip lead
and ground the vacuum advance arm PIN from the points plate to a good
engine ground and see if anything improves.
4. For the worn points plate, take off the distributor cap and see if you
can move the rotor shaft laterally.  If so, the bushing in there is worn
and the distributor needs replacing or refurbishing.  You could also take a
dwell meter and monitor the dwell when the engine runs with the 12 volts to
the coil.  If it is not rock steady, swap distributors or rebuild.
5. Pull the distributor and check the drive gear and it's pin for any
slop.  Often the drive roll pin is quite worn and can create ignition
timing problems.
6.  How did you statically time the engine?  Did you rotate the distributor
COUNTER-CLOCKWISE until you got a spark, then CLOCKWISE until you got
another spark and then STOPPED right there and tightened it down with the
harmonic balancer at the correct advance timing specified for your car?  If
you reversed the directions you would have the engine timing WAY off.

Please let us know what you find.

-- Larry