<VV> Resurrection (fan bearing lube question)

NicolCS@aol.com NicolCS@aol.com
Sat, 6 Nov 2004 09:17:04 EST

I can't comment on your engine noise,  but I will say that it's normal for a
relubed blower bearing to spit for a while.  I have had that symptom on
everybearing that I've lubed.  The big "whoops" is to install too much grease and
blow out the lower seal.  The way to tell if you have done that (other than
inspection) is by feel during the greasing process.  If you feel (felt) a sudden
rise, then a great reduction in the effort required to operate the grease gun,
that's when you filled the cavity (effort rises) and then blew out the lower
seal (effort drops).  Greasing the blower bearing is a great idea, especially
on an assembled engine who's bearing starts "moaning", but since the bearing
isn't designed for it, the process requires a knowing touch.
Great news on the resurrection!
Craig Nicol