<VV> Race history

Bill Elliott Bill Elliott" <Corvair@fnader.com
Thu, 11 Nov 2004 08:48:42 -0500

Yes, FIA 1353 (20 NOV 64) covers the '65 Corsa.

The early models were homologated with the FIA
(<http://www.fia.com/>Fidiration Internationale de l'Automobile ), an
international body for sanctioning races and rallies.  Homologation
involved the manufacturer certifying about 30 pages of documentation
describing the car.  Without homologation, the cars would not be allowed to
enter international events, or any national events needing FIA certification.

I could not find the real early numbers for 61 and 62, but know they exist,
as these cars entered, and won the Canadian International Winter Rally.
Corvairs were entered in a number of FIA competitive events, all over the
world. (but not often in the US)

Here are the numbers for halfway through the early run and the late coupe:

CHEVROLET

1171 Corvair Monza Spyder modhle 1963 avec compresseur (3326)
1275 Corvair Monza Spyder 1964 (2687) et avec compresseur (3762)
1353/1 Corvair Corsa (2687)

The first column is the basic recognition number (FIA document number) with
any listing for homologation amendments.  The numbers in parenthesis are
the displacement in cc's or (the displacement in cc's x 1.4) for
turbocharged cars. Avec is the French word for "with"; et means "and."

So, for example, the 64 Monza was homologated and filed with FIA paper
#1275.  It was certified with a displacement of 2687 cc without turbo, and
with an equivalent displacement of 3762 cc with turbo.

This is from the official list of 1969 cars at:
http://www.sovren.org/competition/rules/fia/FIA1969Group2Homologation.html

Rich Carroll

Some additional articles to review:

 http://www.musclecarcalendar.com/WeKnowJack/CorvarYenko.htm