<VV> Poor Man's Impact Wrench (oops)

RoboMan91324@aol.com RoboMan91324@aol.com
Mon, 22 Nov 2004 18:04:24 EST

Further to my last post .... for the side load of the hammer on the box
wrench and the Allen wrench to cancel each other out, they need to be fairly
closely lined up.  In other words, they should both be at about 9:00 or 3:00 looking
at the alternator along the axis.  If the Allen wrench is at 9:00 with the
box wrench is at 3:00 and you hammer up on the box wrench, you double the side
load.  Besides, the alternator will probably pop out of the vise.

Doc
~~~~~~~~~~~
In a message dated 11/22/2004 2:14:55 PM Pacific Standard Time,
virtualvairs-request@corvair.org writes:

> Message: 3
> From: RoboMan91324@aol.com
> Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 14:54:45 EST
> To: virtualvairs@corvair.org, bmccrum@comcast.net
> Subject: <VV> Was alternator fan/pulley removal now poor man's
>
> Hi Bob,
>
> <snip>

However, the box > wrench isn't bad if you use it with the Allen wrench and
> vise as suggested in other postings.  The radial side load caused by the
> hammer on the box wrench is counteracted by the opposite side load on the Allen
> wrench against the vise.  Of course, the impact of the hammer on the box wrench
> needs to be at a tangent to the alternator's shaft rotation.  You get the
> most effect from the impact and the least side load that way.

<snip>