<VV> State Inspections

OPENHABIT@aol.com OPENHABIT@aol.com
Thu, 25 Nov 2004 08:49:01 EST

  I feel the yen (as opposed to the need) to wade in here on Smitty's problem
with the "alleged" safety inspector. I was stationed in Germany in the
seventies, and spent a tear plus inspecting POVs belonging to the soldiers and DOD
civilians. Somewhere around here, in a long unseen file folder, I have a letter
stating basically that ours was the strictest inspection point in Germany at
that time. There were only two of us assigned to the station. By regulation,
we had to be pretty strict on modifications. By agreement with my counterpart,
we "looked the other way" if the modification was safe in concept, and sound
in execution. If it was out of sight of Polizie (Thomas, please correct my
spelling, it has been a while since I saw one signs) and safe, no sweat. My
partner and I were both driving older American iron, and understood the scarcity of
parts.
    My point is, the jerk Smitty had to deal with was looking for trouble,
not doing his job. Those of us who know Smitty know Spike is undoubtedly safer
than the average car that is passing inspections. Message to Smitty, Hey
Smitty, I gotta a guy, give me a call.
Openhabit (Gary)

recently dead '64 Monza sedan
dead ''64 Monza convertible