<VV> Question for the Gurus!

David V. Clamp 66corsa@cox.net
Mon, 11 Oct 2004 19:02:13 -0400

Snip--------------------------
Today I got it fired up and it sounded like a thrashing machine!  I shut it
off after about 15
seconds... I'm afraid to start it again because it sounds like it doesn't
have any oil pressure (the dash lights work and went out when it started).
I'm going to hook up a direct reading gauge tomorrow and verify pressure...
my question is - assuming good oil pressure, how
long should it take for the lifters to pump up?  Should I change the oil and
filter before proceeding?
Unsnip------------------------

Jim,

I'd change the oil and filter if it has sat that long. The lifters can take
quite a while to quiet down. Sometimes they won't shut up until you take it
for a leisurely cruise. Change the oil, then let it warm up a bit at idle.
If it is running okay except for the lifter noise, take it for a test drive.
Just don't drive it hard until the lifters settle down.

David V Clamp
Member: Corsa
        Heart of Georgia Corvairs - Newsletter Editor, VP
        Nader's Raiders
	  1966 Corsa convertible 140 +0.030/4spd 3.55 posi w/ AC
	  mailto:66corsa@cox.net