<VV> Re:was Caveman question/ now lighters

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson@atlas.co.uk
Wed, 20 Oct 2004 22:52:51 +0100

Mark wrote:

> The REALLY "smart / well educated" buyers know enough NOT to smoke. Thus
> Corvair "lighters" are really power plugs, and "ash trays" become trash
> trays.

Surely the really smart Corvair owners don't allow trash in their Vairs?? I
don't, anyway (I encourage clean habits in my passengers, and I practise
them myself - for instance I cram into my pockets the wrappers for the
Lifesavers that I eat to keep myself awake on long trips!).

I use my ashtray as a repository or mounting bracket for tasteful items of
period memorabilia such as plastic Jesuses, good luck charms, St.
Christopher medallions, dancing Elvises and all the other 'sine qua nons' of
classic car ownership.

(;-))

And I of course don't allow smoking in my cars. I will admit to a problem,
though - a large proportion of my accessory collection is concerned with
smoking, and I have things like extending cigar lighters, self-emptying
ashtrays, cigarette lighters that hand you a lighted cigarette, cigarette
boxes, etc., etc. - and I do like to put them in the car, even though they
are redundant. I think their prolificness (prolificity? proliferation?) is
because the accessories from a period tend to reflect the culture of the
period, and smoking was 'hot' in the 50s.

Cheers

Alan