<VV> PG problem

Dave Ziegler dziegler3@comcast.net
Wed, 08 Sep 2004 17:30:53 -0400

Help1 I'm stumped and need some help with a powerglide problem.
The car: 1965 4-dr 110 H.P., automatic transmission
The problem: when shifted from neutral to drive, it bangs hard into gear.
What I've done: replaced the modulator (twice) made sure the valve was free.
No difference. Made sure ALL vacuum lines were tight(no leaks). No
difference. Replaced transmission crossmember mounts. No Difference. Reading
a post by Steve Oxford of last April, he solved the same problem by changing
the torque converter. I don't understand why but I went ahead and changed
the torque converter. While apart I discovered the differential mounting
flange was broken from the starter hole to the bottom. I also replaced the
differential. No difference. Now grasping at straws, I removed the pan and
removed the valve body. The valve body was dis-assembled on the bench and
thoroughly cleaned. I made sure all the valves moved freely. It was  then
re-assembled and re-installed with new gaskets, fresh Dextron, Throttle
valve adjusted, low band adjusted. No difference. Car still bangs into
drive, reverse seems to be okay. After running for a few minutes and
shifting through the gears, the shift got progressively better until it
didn't bang going into drive. I thought I had it. After sitting for another
few minutes, running, no shifting, I put it in drive--BANG
What am I missing or am I just stupid? What's going on here? Anyone have any
ideas or suggestions? I'll take any or all the help I can get here.
Thanks in advance,
--
Dave Ziegler
Corvair Therapy