<VV> PG problem

James Davis jld@wk.net
Wed, 08 Sep 2004 17:32:06 -0500

If you idle rpm is set to 600 rpm in neutral (500 in drive) then check the
engine vacuum.  It needs to be better than 14 inches and 16 inches or
better is perfect.   If all that checks, then it is either the vacuum
modulator valve is stuck and not moving.  All it takes is some lint to
stick the valve.  Just take the modulator out and see if you can move the
valve with a magnet.  Make sure it moves with no drag.  If that not it,
then you need to check the hydraulic modulator valve.  The easiest way to
check that is with a pressure tap. It is the pipe plug on the bottom of the
front pump cover.  You are looking for 52 to 64 psi at idle neutral, vacuum
line attached. I would bet on a stuck vacuum modulator valve.  I assume you
have the downshift timing valve in the correct way (the pointed end down).
Jim Davis