<VV> The Gospel according to Ed Cole...

Turbovert@aol.com Turbovert@aol.com
Thu, 23 Sep 2004 20:55:31 EDT

I have been off for a couple of days, but hopefully can end the thread
regarding the origin of the Corvair name..

I have in front of me the excellent book by Karl Ludvigsen, "Corvair by
Chevrolet, Experimental and Production Cars 1957-1969".
The forward , titled "My Corvair Life & Times" is attributed to Ed Cole
himself, and reads as follows:
"The name, by the way, came from a combination of the two most popular names
in the Chevrolet line of cars at the time - the Corvette and the BelAir. The
name Corvair was copyrighted by GM following its use on a dream car in the GM
Motorama in 1954. The selection of this name was my choice."

This is a cool book, if you are not aquainted with it, and can be purchased
from

Iconografix
P.O. Box 446
Hudson, WI  54016

Google them at Iconografix and I'm sure they'll turn up

Thanks, and I hope I didn't miss somebody else's post saying the same stuff

Mike Harrison
"RALFWHO" - '65 Turbo/Vert
Farmington, MI