<VV> compression

Chuck Kubin dreamwoodck at yahoo.com
Mon Apr 4 19:41:42 EDT 2005

Hey gang,
Reading the discussion about compression: I agree with the statements about how the reading is a maximum of how much the cylinder will pump up, and that you need more than a couple revs to get to the max.  The fiveorsixorseveor... sounds good. Just keep cranking until the gauge stops moving. You don't hurt anything if you crank a few seconds longer than necessary.
There is one VERY important step. Bust your plugs loose, then just snug them up. This keeps you from twisting threads out of a hot head. Do this because you are running the engine up to operating temperature before you attempt the compression test. You don't care what it is on a cold engine. You want to know what it is when the pistons, jugs, valves, heads and rings are all fitting right and doing their job.

Note to JR: the correct misspelling of "typos" is "typoes." Anyone can make a misteak.

Chuck Kubin
Wanted to be an edyter, now I are won.