<VV> Engine Assembly Lubrication

BobHelt at aol.com BobHelt at aol.com
Fri Apr 8 14:36:01 EDT 2005

In a message dated 4/8/05 11:21:18 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
khammett at stainlessfab.com writes:

> Bob, I hope you meant at 5K not 50K for those oil changes.  Also some
> recommend running the engine the first time at a certain rpm for an hour or
> so and then change the oil and filter.  What you say on this Bob?  (I think
> it might be in your book the classic corvair)
>
> Keith Hammett

Hi Keith,
Yes that was a typo . Should have been 3000 to 5000 miles.
Well, yes about the breakin speeds. The question seemed to be centered around
lubrication and thus I din't cover a suggested breakin procedure.

I recommend with a new cam, to bring the speed up to around 1500 to 2000 rpm
and hold it there right after the engine starts. Let it run this way for about
15 to 20 minutes. If there are problems, shut the engine down, fix the
problem and resume the run. Then change oil and filter. After that drive the car at
resonable speeds, less than 3000 rpm, accelerating from 30 to 50 mph
frequently and then dropping the speed back.
Regards,
Bob Helt