<VV> Adventures in towing

Rick Loving ral1963 at earthlink.net
Sun Apr 17 18:22:14 EDT 2005

I have towed my 63 vert over 10000 miles.  Just 2 weeks ago I trailered it
800 miles from NC back to IL.

I always tow it, my 64 coupe, and my 65 Corsa forward.  The key is just like
everyone else with any trailer experience has said....IT's all about load
placement, tongue weight, and tow vehicle.

You need the correct weight on the tongue, my trailer with Corvair should be
around 4500lbs, if I can lift the tongue with the car on the trailer I roll
it forward until I can't.  My current trailer has "trailer tires" which hace
stiffer sidewalls and reduces sway, my previous trailer had car tires (thin
radial sidewalls) and I had to jack up the tire pressure to reduce sway.

I have towed with full sized trucks, but try and use my father dually when
ever possible as I can run 70 mph without a hint of sway even under good
crosswinds.  With a regular truck I can get sway induced at speed with gusts
and semi passing.

When I bought my first vair back in the 80's I loaded it engine forward and
trailered it home 700 miles.  The top tore within the first 100 miles of
interstate speeds, since then I have always loaded front forward.

Rick Loving
Living in IL again.....