<VV> Model name question (Non-Corvair)

Alan and Clare Wesson alan.wesson at atlas.co.uk
Wed Apr 20 06:47:33 EDT 2005

Thomas wrote:

> Don't forget, words and pronunciation can have a quite different
> ring overseas e.g. most of my US guests get the fits seeing the signs
> on the Autobahn: Ausfahrt ... (exit) :-)

Words like this can make the life of a German teacher hell, as can the
resemblance between 'sechs' (six) and 'sex' - although it's actually not as
similar to sex as six is, if you think about it. Still, when you're 14 and
in a German lesson, I suppose you have to look around for laughs...

Worst of all is this:

http://www.windclimber.de/newsflash/fluggebiet.php?itemid=165

The name of this mountain used to cause considerable mirth to any student
who found out about it. In fact I had a ticket from the welcome centre at
the top, which a friend had given me. On the ticket it said 'Wank-Spass'
(wank fun).

Cheers

Alan

P.S. Does wank mean the same in American as it does in English?