<VV> Clutch noises question

Doug Mackintosh dougmackintosh at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 1 23:25:41 EDT 2005

My daughter returned from Florida with some clutch issues on her '64 Spyder.  The cable had been fraying, and the clutch has had a hard pedal recently.  But otherwise it has been working fine.  When she returned from Florida, the cable had frayed to the point that the clutch was no longer disengaging fully.  It also was making loud moaning noises (intermittantly) as the pedal was raised to engage the clutch.  No noise with the clutch fully up.

I have now replaced the cable, and everything works fine, except that it still has the intermittant moan.  It appears not to do it when fully disengaged, or when fully engaged, just as it is engaging.  No apparent slippage or other problems.

My guess is the disk itself, possibly worn out.  It has around 65,000 miles.
Any advice before I commit to a drivetrain drop?

Thanks

-- Doug Mackintosh
  Corsa member since 1996
  Corsa/NC member since 1996,  Virtual Vairs member
  Corvair owner 1969-1971 and 1996-on