<VV> Re: blow up about questions about electric fans

Larry Forman Larry at forman.net
Thu Aug 4 22:12:10 EDT 2005

Hi Trisha,
I can understand how Tom felt.  I have been following this on VV and
FastVairs and at least one comment in particular made ME mad!  I was pissed
that someone would make such a lame and crass comment for someone in the
Vair community who is working hard to do good work.  And the comment was
not even directed at me.  I let it pass for then, but wanted to say that I
like Tom's work and he is learning some hard lessons about selling to
Corvair owners.  If you and he talk with Ray Sedman for a little while he
can tell you how LONG it takes to develop customers for Corvair specialty
products.  Ray has said it is a SLOW process involving a lot of hours and
talking over a long period of time.  And this is for someone who has had a
long reputation for putting out unique, quality Corvair products.  In fact,
I was there in Portland and someone was asking the hard questions about his
Safeguard and pricing.  So Ray graciously turned the conversation over to
me since I have my own positive exposure to that excellent product.  I was
more than willing to provide an opinion based on real-life exposure over
several years.

So selling some of those fan kits at the CORSA National was really doing
pretty well, believe it or not.  Furthermore, I was pretty impressed with
Tom's work and so were some others.  It just takes time and unfortunately a
thick skin for uncalled-for comments.  All this should continue to die down
with time and exposure.

The silver lining is that this thread related to Tom's work has generated a
TON of good questions and people talking about Tom's work, so you do have
that to be thankful for.  I realize not all are positive, but most people
would really like for Tom to succeed, even though they might not say it out
loud.

The best thing for Tom is to continue to do good work and DRIVE and show
his car/s and their performance.  As everyone learns the benefits, as well
as any deficiencies, things should improve and the negativity will SLOWLY
die off.  Fortunately, people in addition to Tom will come up with creative
alternatives to overcoming those deficiencies with the passage of
time.  Just watch and see.

So please hang in there for the long haul.  After this is over, the ride
should be worth the effort, just like Corvairs.

Larry