<VV> gas gauge

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Fri Aug 5 20:09:37 EDT 2005

>My '65 Corsa's gas gauge quit working this past Monday.  It's pegged at way
>past Full, and hasn't budged in days.

Is fairly common particularly when a car sits for a year or two without any
fuel stabiliser. Believe it or not but many GM cars (and I suspect the
Corvair is one) use a fuel sender that is essentially an exposed coil and
slider. Get some gum and corrosion and the coil gets attacked. Typical
action is a gas gauge that is usually pegged but will occasionally read
correct for a minute or two then swing back to over full.

In a modern car this is usually when the in-tank fuel pump quits because
the sock has gotten rotten but mechanical pumps can survive. If this is
what is happening, the only answer is to remove the sender and either clean
the windings or replace the sending unit. If this is the problem it would
also be a good idea to dump and clean the fuel tank (see: Phosphoric Acid
but do not let any get on a concrete floor).

Padgett