<VV> Let's see the results -- RE: Re: blow up about questions about electric fans

Jim Burkhard burkhard at rochester.rr.com
Sat Aug 6 08:43:29 EDT 2005

That sounds great, Ken! I eagerly look forward to your results so we can
stop the banter and get onto serious topics like tissue box restoration and
oil filter collecting.  ;-)

If you guys are serious about doing this, make sure you allow enough extra
cash in there to buy / rent / borrow some decent instrumentation to arrive
at real results.  You'll need (at minimum) a low differential pressure gauge
and some thermocouples and a reader.  Do before and after tests on the same
car under the same conditions under the same instruments. I am amazed at how
many people spend large $ on projects without any instrumentation or
management of conditions to tell how well things worked.  You've all heard
it at one time or another: "Well, by golly it werked fer me! Who needs to
know math or fizuks?"  Let's see some real numbers.

As others have noted (John Roberts, I think) The very Spal pressure/flow
curve somebody linked to suggests that the Spal fan will NOT flow as much
air as the Vair fan UNDER THE SAME PRESSURE DROP. People seems to ignore the
fact that airflow MUST be specified at a pressure drop for it to mean
anything.  It is (comparably) easy to each flow-only requirements by putting
your fan in free or nearly free air (minimal downstream restriction).  In
our application, though, the fan must overcome the restriction afforded by
the Corvair heads and rest of the engine in the flow path.  I've little
doubt that an electric fan can supply sufficient airflow for the Vair engine
*under some conditions* (i.e. the stock fan is overkill during much
driving).  I sincerely doubt, though, that it can do so under all
conditions, and this is corroborated by the best current engineering
evidence (the aformentioned manufacturer's fan curve). If you guys want to
pony up the $$$ to do a real engineering in-situ evaluation, I'd love to see
the results.  I'd suggest discussing your proposed instrumentation & test
plan on here in advance, so everyone (including us skeptics) are in
agreement about the best way to test it so the results are meaningful. That
way, you'll help avoid people dismissing the results afterward.

Eagerly awaiting your results-

Jim Burkhard