<VV> 64 engine pull continued

John Headley robedinpurple at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 8 21:51:12 EDT 2005

OK folks, I got the leaf spring out of the vehicle
without breaking the 3 studs per side on the mounting
plates for the bushings - problem solved.  All that
remains between me and that powertrain coming out are
a few final things.  The speedo cable doesn't seem to
want to budge.  I took out the bolt and little
retainer, is there more to this?  Looks like it should
just slide out, but no.

The trans mount bolts are extremely corroded.  I tried
to get one loose, but it just spins.  I wanted to
remove the whole mount and replace it, especially
since the castle nuts attaching them to the
crossmember look very rough too.  I'm not sure this
will work without a major fight.  So I'm looking at
plan b, which is to remove the clutch cross shaft and
just disconnect the trans from the crossmember.  Any
tips for how to get the trans mounts out, or should I
forget it for now?  I have less than 2 weeks to
finish(Woodward Dream Cruise Aug 20).

Finally, the axle shafts are supposed to slide out
away from the backing plate, but it seems that they
don't want to separate.  Are there any tricks here, or
is brute force in order?  If so, how do I make them
come apart without damaging anything else in the
process?

Thanks for your help,
John Headley
64 monza convert