<VV> RE: archive

Arjay Morgan n3lkz at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 9 01:04:14 EDT 2005

that virtualcorvairclub.com is a private,
not-for-profit endeavor that hasn't had a single
donation to even cover expenses... it certainly cannot
be
>> considered commercial. is not an issue here, at
least not with me.

My issue it its elitist, prying nature. You can't get
in unless you are a 'member', and that smaks of
eliteism. To become a member you need a username and a
password, and that's prying to me. I always wonder
what the owners of these sites do with the disparate
collections of names and passwords they collect.

>> Does learning to use a search engine on a Corvair
specific database that will soon reach 300,000 entries
have no "redeeming value to our members" (?)(sic).

I can run six-level searches in DB-1 and DB-3, so
running a simple search engine isn't the question.
GETTING to the engine is. an offer to TEACH a simple
keyword search is, um, insulting.

>> or is it that CORSA fears such an article will
simply be promoting a product?

>> Can you help me understand why my idea for an
article in the Communique was rejected?

>> Kind Regards,
>>
>> Joe

Sorry, but I can't solve that problem. However I am
aware just how hard it is to drive a decent readership
to a website some good some bad, but one thing that
may get the hackles of Corsa up is the name. Virtual
Corvair Club? No way...we are the Corvair Club. How
dare he?  Get my point?

Bottom line is that I am a computer guru and I'll use
the tool when I need to and if and when the silly
password/login goes away. You see, I'm one of those
early adopters of the Internet who believes all
information should be free. (and dare I say,
'unencumbered.'?

Fact is, I don't really mind giving Joe a password and
a username, it;s just that I've used up my quota of
names and passwords for the next decade going
forwared. Worse yet, I can't remember all the ones
that I have.

So, when it becomes more user friendly I'll use it and
tell my friends to use it and I, frankly, don't give a
damn what any organization thinks about it.

I dropped out of Corsa when the President told me in
so many words my group didn't stand a chance in hell
of becoming a chapter because we were too close to two
existing chapters. Her "close" was something like 60
or 70 miles each way for a club meeting. Our group
passed and there was a net loss of membership.So, I
don't want to hear any whining about declining members
because of non-technical articles in the Communique or
difficulties in searching a topic-specific database.
No, not when the senior management of the Big Club
tells a group of prospective members to take a hike in
such a rude fashion. As my mommy used to say, 'there
ain''t no excuse for bad manners."

Writers in this forum have noted some failings in the
club's magazine....the preponderance of Ed and Flo at
the shopping mall show in Kansas. Drivel that's
interesting only to the ED & Flo crowd. I used to
publish a computer newspaper in Florida and there was
not one Ed & Flo story in it. Not one.

By in large we're nice and friendly people who are
more than willing to share our knowlege -- and love --
of our Corvairs, but we seem stuck with arcane and
seemingly senseless rules, regulations, dicta, dogma
and precedent which flows unendlessly from some Temple
in the midwest. Maybe what we need is a Moses to clean
out the temple.

Arjay Morgan
64 Monza Convert
Former member of Corsa