<VV> Puzzle, take 3 (answer)

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Thu Aug 11 01:35:17 EDT 2005

Well folks, all the votes are in and it's time to reveal the naked  truth!

Why didn't Corvairs have "Chevrolet" badges all over them?

Excepting the Corvette, prior to 1960, each GM division made only one line
of cars.  Buicks were Buicks in 15 (est.) different bodysytles.   Cadillacs
were Cadillacs and so on.  There were no "families" of different  kinds of cars
under one major name (what we now call a "Brand")

Corvairs were unique products; nothing to do with "Chevrolets".   Remember,
at that time, a "Chevrolet" was a specific car, available in 15  (est.)
bodystyles and a variety of trim levels, such as Bel-Air, Impala, and so  on.
Corvairs weren't part of that line.

Initially, Corvairs were "Corvair, by Chevrolet".  How it fit in with  the
"Chevrolet" car wasn't clear. Then came the Chevy II and the Chevelle.   By the
mid-sixties, the solution of using "Chevrolet" as a brand-family was well
established and the "Standard" or "Full-size" "Big-car" identified the regular
Chevrolet car.

Oddly, as time passed, there were fewer and fewer "Chevrolet" labels on a
Corvair.  That, I cannot explain as that would have been natural with the
movement of the "Chevrolet" name to a "Brand" status.
Craig (did my time as a product planner) Nicol