<VV> Electric Fan - An Engineering Approach

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Fri Aug 12 11:39:19 EDT 2005

Exacly what is needed and perhaps this should go to a subgroup (easy with
threads, difficult with a newsgroup). In any event all is moot for me until
there is a Corvair in the garage (hopefully on the 31st).

Benefits can be summed up as follows: reduced engine power consumption,
particularly above 3,000 rpm. Increased cooling at low speeds and idle.
Potential for increased MPG. Something for everyone.

Additional equipment:
a) Fans (I use the plural because it makes sense - two speeds demand
related, lower power consumption in normal driving, no additional loss with
relay logic, backup for "get home" capability if one fails. Also may be
able to use two stock GM fans mounted back to back (are "pusher" and
"puller" varieties - TranSport with 3800 has 16" "puller" and 13" "pusher"
and has always run cool.).
b) Relay circuit to change from series to parallel wiring when needed (temp
switch or WOT).
c) Higher output alternator (std GM with a/c of period was 55 amp, no
exterior differences)

Modifications: This I expect to be the expensive part or possibly DIY.
a) 90 degree rotation of alternator mount and short belt (might be able to
use a/c or AIR mount)
b) rework of upper shroud for electric fans which will probably have a
larger diameter.

Note: with digital fuel injection using a GM unit from a 2.8 or 3.1 engine,
two speed fan control programming is built in.

Is all theoretical at the moment but experiments seem worthwhile
particularly given all of the pieces that can now be found in jardins de
junque as donor cars of the 80s and 90s are scrapped.

Padgett