<VV> Has anyone on the list BOUGHT Tom's cooling system

Crawford Rose crawfordrose at msn.com
Fri Aug 12 18:34:33 EDT 2005

Bryan:
I defer to you on whether this topic belongs here and it soon will move along to its timely demise.
However, you of all people should know that the problems of overheating are able to corrected with various other tried and true simple modifications and tradeoffs like changing fan ratios, additional oil coolers, water injection, etc. But frankly, even in stock form, I have observed 450-475 degree head temps at 80 miles per hour with my turbo on boost (summer / conv. top down / all shrouds installed).  I think that the fan is fine for its intended use and GM must have been satisfied with these conditions for all foreseeable warranty purposes.
I concur that Bob Coffin and Kent Sullivan are doing something that is likely to be of value in some 140 head applications.  Anyone who has overheated his or her 911 at speed knows that the fan is NOT a panacea and often requires a front fender mounted oil cooler to keep temps down.
There are other more worthy projects laying dormant on the back burner. I think that the head temperatures could also be reduced with the employment of nikasil aluminum cylinders but I think that most of us rationally concluded that the cost was prohibitive at $3600.  I'd be willing to try unfinned nikasil cylinders if I thought it was more cost effective and would last at least 10,000 miles!!
I think that Ray's roller cam will make a big difference in temps too and that is one enhancement that I hope to be able to start soon.
Crawford

snip

  Saying the topic doesn't belong on VV is
  incorrect.

  I'll add that the stock fan is deficient, according to Chevy engineers
  who accepted as a design limitation of the stock turbo cars that they
  could not be cooled with the existing fan.  I would think their opinion
  carries some weight.

  The fact that we have two separate projects in the test phase is pretty
  interesting.  I see each having possibilities depending on application.

  --Bryan