<VV> Mo MPG

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Tue Aug 16 10:35:29 EDT 2005

There's been a lot of traffic regarding EFI over the last couple of days  and
I like to add a few comments.
1) 3.1 GM TBI: While the published horsepower for the 3.1 TBI is similar to
the 2.8 horsepower rating, I'd be more inclined to select the 2.8  TBI.   The
base fuel map for the 2.8 should be much closer to correct  for our 2.7
Corvair engine. The 3.1's low and mid-range torque is greater than  the 2.8 and will
likely overfuel our 2.7 engines.  Cold start, warm-up,  WOT, operation after
battery disconnect, and operation during certain fault  codes all rely on the
base fuel map.  There's no reason to select a donor  system that's farther
away from correct.  Note that my 2.8 MFI system is  already slightly overfueled
on the base map.

2) There seems to be a perception that TBI is much easier to install than
MFI.  While it is easier, it's only slightly easier.  A WAG?   Let's say MFI is
a 40 hour job where TBI is a 30 hour job.  Cost?   Both require all the same
sensors and a junkyard system is likely to be the same  price.  The only real
difference is that MFI will require milling of the  heads and purchasing of
fuel rail and bungs.

3) Performance.  Similar GM engines from 1991 show about 20 more  horsepower
in the MFI configuration.  Also TBI motors are less fuel  efficient (like
maybe 5 mpg) due to fuel condensation in their "wet"  manifolds.

If you are going to do all this work, why select the less efficient, lower
power TBI?  FWIW, the 280ZX system is simpler to install than a TBI system  and
is 100% proven.
Craig Nicol
66 140 with Fiero MFI
65 140 with 280ZX MFI