<VV> auto parts

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Thu Aug 18 20:20:36 EDT 2005

As frustrating as the cascade of questions might be, from the perspective  of
the counterman and to the benefit of the purchaser, it is a very direct and
positive approach.

When I did my time as a Chevy counterman (paper books), we had to know
(memorize) which book to look in for each model and know (memorize) the group
number for each and every part. It took years to get good. Once at the proper
group, one then sifted through lists of applications, many of which  were of the
"except" category.  Negative applications are not fun and  frequently
contradict one another.

Here's an example:
This is ONE of the seven carburetors listed in the '73 book.  Of  course you
just automatically KNEW to go to the Group 3.725 for carburetors.  Each
carburetor has a similar list that the counterman had to weed through. And  usually,
a counterman would have to suffer through at least half of the listings
before he was sure of the proper application.
Bear in mind that the following applications are all for just  ONE carbuetor
part number!

P/N 7036365
62-63 Corvair, F.C. (Exc. H/Per)
64 Corvair w/oil bath
64-65 Corvair w/H/Per. (exc. C.A.C)
64-65 Corvair, F. C. w/C.A.C
65-67 Corvair w/P.G. (exc. H/Per, Air Cond., A.I.R.)
65-66 Corvair w/4/1BC (exc. CORSA, A.I.R.)
64 Corvair (exc. H/per, C.A.C.)
65 Corvair (exc. H/Per, Turbo, 4/1BC, C.A.C.)
65 CORSA (exc. turbo)
66-67 Corvair (exc. Corsa, P.G., A.I.R.)
66 CORSA (exc. Turbo, A.I.R.)
68 Corvair
69 Corvair w/2/1BC

The counterman was expected to sort through these listings each and every
time and make a decision despite the inconsistencies and changes in
nomenclature. Note that it specifies that this carb is both "for" and "not for"  65 140s
.   Meanwhile, the customer is drumming his fingers on  the counter and saying
"can't you just get me a simple carburetor for a '65  Corvair?"  The
ubiquitous software interface we face today is vastly  superior to these paper-book
chicken scratchings!
Craig Nicol