<VV> Effect of Reduced Quench on Jet Size and Timimg

Mikeamauro at aol.com Mikeamauro at aol.com
Fri Aug 19 19:08:38 EDT 2005

"....15 mpg is absurd unless autocrossing from stoplight to stoplight. Given
that information I would want to verify *everything* (including whether the
timing mark is really at TDC and the color of the inside of the tailpipe
(at 15 mpg would bet it is black and not grey), and the driving habits of
the usual driver). Something is wrong. Did you pull the vacuum line from
the distributer before setting the timing (sorry, but have to ask) ?

The most likely cause is insufficient advance (one indicator of retard is
an exceedingly smooth idle, when adjusted for max mpg I expect a very
slight lope at idle with a hard vaccuum)...."

Padgett:

"Did you pull the vacuum line from the distributor before setting the timing
[sorry, but have to ask) ?" No offense taken...No, I don't normally pull the
VA line as the source is ported. I do look to be sure the idle is low enough
that the VA arm remains in its "Home" position. The initial timing is most
definitely accurate (the balance marks also line up). My next step--before
venturing to .048 jets--is to reexamine the total advance curve (but I believe I'll
find it acceptable. I've owned and worked on Corvairs since 1971 and I could do
this stuff in my sleep (and have a few times); everything with the engine and
car is spot on right. This one has me perplexed. I'm beginning to think the
high stall converter is stealing more efficiency than first thought. Thanks for
the response.
Mike