<VV> Re: Alternate fuels-corvair conversion

FrankCB at aol.com FrankCB at aol.com
Fri Aug 19 19:47:02 EDT 2005

        You really have to look at cost per 1000 BTUs to get a realistic
basis for comparison of 2 different fuels.  If you can get propane at $1.59 per
GALLON then it costs about 1.75 cents per 1000 BTU.  Gasoline at $2.50 per
gallon costs about 2.1 cents per 1000 BTU.  So based on heating value, the cost of
gasoline would have to be $2.08 per gallon to equal the $1.59 per gallon you
cite for propane.  But would this justify the cost of conversion of an engine's
fueling system from gasoline to propane?
       If you drove 15,000 miles a year and got 25 miles per gallon on
gasoline at $2.50 per gallon the cost for a year's worth of gasoline would be $1500.
 Using propane would give you only about 19 mpg and, at $1.59 per gallon, the
cost would then be about $1260 for the year's fuel.  That would save you
about $240 per year.  How many years would you have to drive to justify the cost
of conversion?
       Incidentally, the (R+M)/2 octane rating of propane is 108 so you could
substantially raise the compression ratio of your engine to improve the mpg
figure if you planned to convert to propane.  This would further increase the
yearly saving.
       Unfortunately, most propane is produced from natural gas which has
been increasing in price the past few years just as petroleum has.  So who is to
say how long the price of propane will remain below that of gasoline on an
energy content (BTU) basis.
       Frank Burkhard