<VV> AFB onna 110 ?

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Fri Aug 19 21:14:59 EDT 2005

>Likely Padgett doesn't have any Ford 2xbbl carbs handy either,

Exactly, am a GM person and have waay too many parts now. Found several
AFBs of which the CS-9500 has the smallest primaries of the NOS ones. Also
have a reasonable assortment o jets and rods so tuning should not be difficult.

Did find a Holley spreadbore but AFAIR that was around 800 CFM. Number of
QJs (but no M2MEs). One 4GC, and a gaggle of 2G and 2GC ranging up to about
435 CFM mostly tri-power. Did find one Chebby 283 small frame 2GC with
small enough venturis but needs a rebuild and I do not have a 2bbl-4bbl
adapter ($24.95 at Pep Boyz so will be looking at the Turkey Rod Run).
Don't those 2bbl Holley/Autolites have a 4 bbl bolt pattern and base plate
? Pretty sure the M2ME (231 CID Buicks) did.

Doubt that there is any need to disconnect the secondaries, the air valve
will not open in the secondaries unless there is enough demand - when I had
the dual AFBs on the 305 (500 front and 400 rear, idling from both but
progressive linkage made from a spoon & cruise on rear carb) could floor it
at 1500 rpm in fourth and just walk away. Not very useful but could.

This two branch manifold (Induction Engineering) seems to be designed for a
WCFB since I had to use an adapter to be able to open the 500's
secondaries. Just removed the last too-short stud (in pieces, at least the
easy-out didn't break) and  needs an ear welded back up but is a start.
Tubes are nice.

Not sure what is meant by "cornering issues" as the AFB has the float
bowels on the sides so are more affected by fore/aft than side forces. This
car is intended to be a gentle driver anyway - cruises and parades, if were
going to build an autocross car, would start with a coupe. Expect to
develop some MPG and cooling enhancements but performance is expected to be
"adequate".

Of course when I go yarding to look for a TBI setup which is the end state
so do not want to get too deep into carbs, who knows what I may find...

Padgett