<VV> Economy, engineering, and corvairs

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Sun Aug 21 19:39:49 EDT 2005

Efficiency was really the driving point of  the electric fan business and
my consideration of alternate induction methods and 27" rear tires for a
car I do not even have yet.

Europe has *always* had high gas prices, it is part of their tax structure.
When we first looked at $2/gall gas the UK already had $6.40/gallon gas.

The answer there is not alternate fuels (though sub-2 liter diesels are
popular) but tiny (by American standards) engines and manual transmissions.
Take a look at https://www.hertz.co.uk/gaq/index.cfm (give it UK and LHR -
London Heathrow) to see rates and sizes. The average engine is between 600
and 1100 cc. A sporty car may have a two liter engine
  - beyond that you are into luxury cars. You would also be surprised how
quick a 1.1 can be, particularly one in a car that is under 2000 lbs.

Now we cannot do much about the weight of a Corvair, but I do have some
plans for that big low-tech engine that winds too high and the power
robbing fan  (that might not rob so much power if I can get the engine
speed down). Naturally I have picked the worst transmission from an economy
standpoint, the PowerGlide. Worse, it apparently does not get close to a
no-slip condition until 3500 rpm so if I can hit my target of 2500 rpm at
70, the TQ efficiency will be down.

(Does someone have the efficiency chart for the torque converter they could
e-mail me ?)

The next stage will be to see what various combinations of carbs and tubes
can do with a stock head (did I mention being of Scots heritage ?) Do think
if good atomization can occur, there may be away to achieve even mixture
distribution which is necessary before lean out the cruise.

And just to make the task impossible, on 87 PON gas (paying 10% more for
premium is like using 10% more gas).

Oh well, still too hot to be out in the garage.

Padgett