<VV> E-85

Chuck Kubin dreamwoodck at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 21 21:15:36 EDT 2005

OK, gang,
the gauntlet is thrown. This is a much easier test to
prove than constant  speculating over hydrogen fuel
cells, electric Corvairs, aux fan cooling, kerosene,
paint thinner, jet fuel, biodeisel or chocolate ice
cream added to pump gas.
I have a Corvair. I have a gas station nearby that has
E85. With no changes to the engine, as I understand
none are required, I will fill my tank with it three
times (just to make sure it is all that's in the tank)
and track my mileage and impressions of performance
against the unleaded premium that's in there now. I
wil also do the test in my 2002 Dakota with the 4.7
magnum.  Since I'm pretty good on a calculator, I'll
report miles per gallon to the group and save the rest
of the group the 300 emails and three months that it
will take to kick the living bejesus out of this
topic.
This will also be a good indicator of E85's knock
inhibiting properties, since when Orange Crush gets
good and hot on a highway run, it knocks like a
sumbitch.
One day, maybe this year, I'll address that issue by
rounding up all the usual suspects. Meanwhile,  what
I'll need from all of you is time. With the limited
use the Corvair gets, it may take me as much as three
months to get the results. That means I will have them
in about the same time as it will take for this thread
to die out...unless someone else with access to E85 is
willing to participate in this practical test.

Chuck Kubin