<VV> MPG -$$ are not the point

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Tue Aug 23 10:35:12 EDT 2005

> > Really, the point I'm trying to get to is that a (very?) great many Vairs
> > likely go less than 1,000 per year.  So, the conversation about various
> > fuels and other fuel saving or fuel cost saving methods fall on quite a
> > few deaf ears.

The point is not the MPG, the point is the competition. My daily driver has
a 3800 and is sitting on a 19.6 mpg average right now because I have been
doing a lot of short, in town driving with the a/c going. I fill it up
about once a month so the price of gas does not affect me much.

My feeling is that the Corvair being 3/4 the engine size and 2/3 the weight
should give appreciatively better MPG under the same conditions. The fact
that the technology is 40 years old is not that important. The fact that
the technology, particularly the intake manifolding, is pretty bad even for
the time is not.

Am curious how the turbo, which uses long tubes and the mixture drawn
through the turbo compares with the 110 for mixture distribution across the
cylinders, anyone ever run any tests ? For that matter I never got any
replies to my question about which cylinder runs the hottest - anyone know
that ? Is not anywhere I spotted in the stock engine test (though the MPG
vs fractional load charts are interesting). Yout wants to know.

Padgett