<VV> Heater Assisted Cooling

Joe West joew at diveaz.com
Tue Aug 23 20:03:11 EDT 2005

Hi Smitty,

I would have to disagree with your analysis of the situation when "Heat" is
selected.
Assuming that the heater fan is operating at the same time the Heat setting
is selected, the heater fan will actually be creating a negative pressure at
the back of the manifolds.  This negative pressure will actually increase
airflow across the cylinders (the air the fan is pulling has to come from
somewhere).  This will indeed decrease the operating temperature of the
engine.

As an aside...another case where turning on the heater fan and blower is
when you have overheated your engine and you are stopped.  Turning on the
heat and blower will help cool down an overheated motor more quickly than
you might expect.  I recently got to practice this method after my son's
Corsa threw a fanbelt just before he got home.

Joe West