<VV> Corvair 8 radio

Padgett pp2 at 6007.us
Wed Aug 24 10:56:56 EDT 2005

>Back in the 40s-50s, the number of tubes or transistors a radio had,was a
>crude (advertising) indicator of performance

For a superior superhetrodyne circuit for an AM radio you need six
transistors (could make a cheap radio with four, actually can make a really
cheap radio with none...). More meant one of two things:
1) had dual conversion (good for short wave), separate oscillator circuit,
and/or a push-pull final amplifier stage to drive a big speaker.
2) pure marketting (often the transistors which were dirt cheap by the 60's
were just used as diodes to increase the count.)

I would have to see a schematic to tell which.

Padgett