<VV> Ignition timing question.

Dan Roraff corvair at bevcomm.net
Mon Aug 29 15:13:10 EDT 2005

Hi,
It all started a few weeks ago when I replaced my harmonic balancer. It was a very easy job, buy that puller that allows you to pull it with out messing with the engine mount.  Anyway since I have a nice new clean pulley down there I thought I'd check the timing.  That new bright white timing mark was very steady, and was around 16 degrees.  My information for a 65 110 hp auto says it needs to be 14 degrees.  In spite of being 2+ degrees too much, it never pinged or knocked.  I use mid range gas about 89 octane rating.

My question is can I keep advancing the timing until it pings and then just back it off a little?  This is how I did it before I had a timing light.

Got to go now, the weather is perfect for a drive.

Thanks
Dan
65 Monza 110 auto convertible
Minnesota