<VV> Fuel Milage in winter - only minor Corvair

Jim Burkhard burkhard at rochester.rr.com
Thu Dec 1 18:10:03 EST 2005

In addition to the stuff already posted, winter fuels often
(but not always) have higher levels of oxygenates (used to
be mostly MTBE, now mostly ethanol), which have lower
heating values (fewer BTUs per gallon).

Another factor is that in winter driving, a lot of folks
tend to (foolishly) spend a lot of time "warming" their cars
up before driving them.  You get 0 mpg when that is going
on...   Remote car starters (the rage where I live) make
this even worse because people are often running their cars
for 15 minutes (they don't realize it's this long, but I see
it a lot with freinds, etc.) before they get in them and
take a 15 minute trip. Besides being hard on the engine,
it's bad for fuel economy and keeping the car cold so long
really cranks out the emissions.

Jim Burkhard