<VV> Dual or single master cylinder-Trivia-Mashing It!

Dave Beaulieu nsrifle at ns.sympatico.ca
Mon Dec 5 22:29:37 EST 2005

I've had many GM, Toyota, Suzuki and Mazda vehicles with dual master
cylinders (70-80-90 vintage) that experienced line failure. Mashing
never worked on them. The only time 'mashing' worked for me was on an
early
Mini (58) that had a pressure activated 'proportoning valve' to the
back brakes with a single Master cylinder. If a line aft of it or a rear
cylinder went out you had a pretty good pedal on the front brakes -
until the fluid all leaked out due to the bit you lost when mashing and
gravity 'dribble'. Sometime in the 60's they went to an 'inertia'
proportoning' valve - a large ball bearing in a cast housing (about a 3
inch cube) that ran up an internal ramp and would eventually push a
valve shut cutting off pressure to the back. I used one of these later
ones on my race Cooper 'S' on a custom bracket with adjustable rods (all
thread!!) that changed the 'tilt of the ramp' to set the brake bias up.

Dave B. 65 Corsa Coupe 140/4 Corsa Member