<VV> Steering Shaft - A Human Spear

VAN A. PERSHING persh at aztecfreenet.org
Tue Dec 6 18:31:57 EST 2005

In one of the posts recently on the differences between '65s and '66s somebody
mentioned the fact the the one-piece '65 steering shaft becomes a spear in the
 driver's chest in a head-on collision. Summer before last I had just a
 collision in my '65 Corsa. A guy turned left in front of me pulling a hugh
trailer. I hit one of the trailer's axles at about 35 or 40 mph. The point
of impact was directly in front of the steering box. (You can see a picture
of the car on my website www.geocities.com/vapershing/corvair.html) The
nice collapsable trunk saved my bacon. The front of the car caved in about
two feet but the steering shaft came in only about a half inch from it's
original position. Upon examination I discovered that the steering shaft was
 bent downward (up by the box). My conclusion is that one would have to be doing
a pretty good wheelie at the time of impact for the shaft to impale the
driver. I'll experiment with that one and get back to you..... not!!