<VV> Re: Hands at 10 & 2 no longer recomended

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Fri Dec 9 23:47:26 EST 2005

C. Nicol said (out of context):

>Hands at 10 and 2, no glasses, seat upright, belt tight and low, and a single
>frontal impact.

You must be as old as me or maybe 20 years younger. My daughter is
currently in drivers ed course at high school and the rule is now hands
at 8 and 4 o'clock positions.  to quote: "(this) position improves
stability by lowering the body's center of gravity, and reduces
unintended and excessive steering wheel movement which is a primary
cause of driver fatalities". I talked to the instructor about this
change and he said it was  in response to the many single car wrecks
where a car drifts off the road and the driver overcorrects by turning
the wheel too far and goes off the other side of the road with usually
fatal results.  The big change is the turns lock to lock of steering
wheels. The old slow ratios of the 50's and 60's could use the wheel
movement of the 10 and 2 hand positions, and if you did not have power
steering, you needed the 10 and 2 position to get enough torque to turn
the wheel! So, stock Corvairs  are OK with 10 and 2.

Frank DuVal