<VV> Re: vv diff between Corsa and Monza

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Dec 20 02:26:20 EST 2005

In a message dated 12/19/2005 6:11:55 PM Pacific Standard Time,
tampatexan at tampabay.rr.com writes:

>I  got a response from bigwavedave regarding my survey of Corsa/Monza
differences  saying that the Corsa shifter is slighly quicker (shorter throw) than
the  Monza.  I've heard other people say this but I can't find any written
evidence of this.  It doesn't mention it in the brochures (of course they  may
have just not mentioned it or I've missed it in my senility) and Clark's
doesn't list a different part for the Corsa vs Monza.  There is a chrome  vs black
painted shifter arm but it seems the painted one was used on the  500's, not
Monzas.  Can anyone confirm this difference in shifter  throw?

>He also says the rear grill on a 65 is different between  a Corsa and a
Monza besides the grill inserts.  I thought they were the  same other than the
inserts.  Again, any  confirmation??

>mike

The shifters are all the same between models. All 3-speeds  were the same,
all 4-speeds were the same - but 4-speeds are different than  3-speeds. If you
bought a 3-speed equipped Monza or Corsa new and received  a Chromed 3-speed
shifter, I would love to hear from you, but I have  never seen one. I believe
that all Monza/Corsa/500 3-speed shifters  were painted Black, 4-speeds were
Chrome. Of course the shift ball was different  between the 3 and 4 speed. The
Corsa Shifter did have a pair of special tabs  mounted to let the Chrome cover
attach. The Monza and 500 used an accordian  rubber boot. (not sure about the
500s, they may have gone naked!) The lower  grill piece on the 500 and monza
(in 1965) was unadorned and had  a pair of small grille openings stamped into
the center parts of  the lower section. The whole section was painted body
color, including the  stamped portions. On the Corsa, the grill is different. It is
made from the same  stamping, but the center sections are punched out and a
pair of anodized  aluminum inserts are screw mounted over the holes. Those
inserts duplicate  the pattern of the Monza and 500 grille, but are bright
anodized aluminum and  surround the grills.  In 1966 the grill is the same stamping
for all cars  with one larger grill opening replacing the two smaller ones. On
the Monza  and 500, the grille was again painted body color. On the Corsa, the
center  portion of the grille was painted "cove color" silver, and a large
anodized  aluminum surround was screw-mounted over the section, with the silver
colored  painted portions showing through.  After 1966, the covering anodized
insert  was not used, Some owners report the center portion of the grill being
 painted silver. After 40 years, it may be hard to pin that one down. But the
 67-69 grille was the same stamping as the 66.  - Seth  Emerson