<VV> Corsa shifter

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Wed Dec 21 13:35:21 EST 2005

<snip>
OK, now for some definitive proof. I dug out both my Corvair parts
manual and the 1965 Assembly manual to see if there is any documentation
that the Corsa shifter is in fact different from the Monza (excluding the
tabs which we already know about). ...

...  To make a long story short.... the Corsa shifter is different than the
Monza shifter. Both the assembly manual and the Corvair parts catalog list
different shift lever assemblies. They both explicitly state that one part
number is for Corsas 10700, and the other lever part number is "
10100-10500"  The housing assembly number is the same for both Corsas and
Monzas so the tabs must just be added on.
    So there's the proof, from both GM, Clarks Corvair, and anecdotal
evidence from Mark C. Hope this convinces even the most sceptic.
(sources: Clarks catalog pg 118, Corvair parts catalog section 4-8p, 1965
Assembly manual section 7 sheet B2)  Bigwave Dave T.
<unsinp>

Hold on there, pardner...

While it's true that the assy manual calls for separate "lever" part numbers
for Corsa and Monza/500, those part numbers (870,871) relate to 3-speed
shifters.  If you look in the M20 4-speed option section, there's only one part
number (872) for both Corsa and Monza/500 all the way from 9/22/64 to the end.

Is it possible that the Corsa 3-sp got a chrome lever (871) while the
Monza/500 3-sp got a painted lever? Or is there a difference in shape since the 500s
had bench seats?  Or is there a difference between '69 part design and '65
part design? From what we have so far, I don't think anyone can conclude that the
3- speed part number difference has to do with "quickness" of the shift
action.

Re: 4-speed cars:  It's clear to me that the 4-speed cars all got identical
shifters (as indicated on page M20-2 in the '65 assy manual (872, supercede
285) and in my '67 P&A parts book (872) and in my '73 parts book (872).  What GM
changed to go from the extremely early #285 (up to 9/22/64) to the post
9/22/64 #872 is unclear. I don't think we will get to the bottom of this until we
see some blueprints.

Craig Nicol