<VV> high output alternators

NicolCS at aol.com NicolCS at aol.com
Wed Dec 28 11:46:44 EST 2005

<snip> Just wonder if there are any fan belt issues with use of a 55 or 63
amp
alternator. The load is going to be considerably more and there must be a
reason a/c Corvairs only got 47A alternators when most other GM cars of the
period with A/C got 55s (and the Delco application guide shows only 37A for
67-69, did they drop the 47 in later years?) Padgett <unsnip>

I was curious about that myself so I connected my carbon-pile load tester to
my '66, which has a 55amp 10 SI.  I adjusted the used Clarks belt to the usual
"just able to rotate the fan" tension and running the engine at 3000 rpm, all
I could get out of the alternator was 35 amps.  I set the belt tighter (well
into "flip" territory) and got slightly more than the full rated output (AFIR
it was about 58-60 amps).  As I suspected, the mere 90 degree belt wrap and
the required low belt tension precludes any benefit from the larger output
alternators.  Slippage would be even worse at lower rpm.   I'm going to try this
again someday with a brand-new belt to see if the results change.
Craig N.