<VV> LM steering wheel hub

Sethracer@aol.com Sethracer@aol.com
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 02:01:22 EST

In a message dated 1/31/2005 7:56:06 PM Pacific Standard Time,
mhicks130@cox.net writes:

I was  told a 64-66 woodgrain steering wheel could not easily be made to
fit on a  1968 column.  What changes were made?  From a few feet away
they  look the same to me! :)

I REALLY like the look of the 2-spoke  woodgrain wheel -  awsome!

mike

Mike - The wheel itself will easily go onto a 67 or later wooden wheel hub.
But those hubs are hens teeth. (hard to find). The Telescoping hub won't
quite work. If you don't mind a little work, you can easily adapt a wheel  hub
from almost any other GM car of that era  (through most of the 70's)  and bolt on
the 65-66 wheel. The 67-up Corvair had the larger GM splines  like almost
every other car. The later wheels with the lower third spoke are  designed with
the third, lower, spoke mounting (in the middle) beneath  the one piece
crossover spokes. The two-spoke Corvair wheel will have some space  between the
bottom of the wheel center and the holes in the adapter, since the  adapter is
relieved at the bottom for clearance. It will all be clear when you  see it. Grant
products has brought out a whole line of reproduction wheels for  the GM cars
of the 60's and 70's. I saw them at the SEMA show this year. Good  Luck. Feel
free to ask questions. That's what makes it fun!

Seth  Emerson
Sethracer@aol.com
C's the day! Corvair, Camaro,  Corvette