<VV> The real reason Corsa membership is in decline...Cost vs. Free

Dale Dewald dkdewald@pasty.net
Sun Feb 6 05:33:48 EST 2005

Hello All,

I find it interesting that CORSA permits free access to all of its online
services, including classifieds, Virtual Vairs, FastVair, etc.  I was a
member of the Turbo Diesel Register (enthusiasts of Cummins-powered Dodge
trucks) for a couple of years (at $35/year--coincidence?).  They issue a
quarterly magazine that is about 3X thick as the Communique but has nearly
the same format.  The most significant part of their mag is the several
regular columns written on travel, maintenance, modification, manufacturing
(not applicable to Corvairs), product reviews and so on, and a large amount
of vendor advertising.  There are no member classifieds in the TDR mag--it
is all done online.  Any non member can read the online classifieds (which
is how I found my truck) and view the archives of the discussion forums,
but one must be a member to post an ad or participate in the forums.  This
only seems fair from the standpoint of recovering the cost of maintaining
the server and compensating those who maintain the web site.

Maybe there could be a minimal fee for access to the online portions of
CORSA; e.g. $15, and a subscription fee for the Communique;, e.g. $25, but
if one springs for full membership it only costs $35, a $5 savings, and one
can also get a discount on the registration fee for CORSA events, even more
savings!!

I have written a couple of short articles that have made it to the
Communique and I have started, but not finished, several more.  Although I
like to think I can write well, it is a very difficult and time consuming
thing for me to do.  I would really enjoy having a facilitator that would
help get some additional Communique articles completed and possible
generate a few more....

At 07:41 PM 2/3/05 -0500, Ryan wrote:
>Over the years something has changed that has caused me to become a lot
>less excited about the Communique.  It's called the Internet, Now if I
>want to check the classifieds I go Corsa Classifieds online and check or
>scan Ebay, if I have a question about a tech issue that's puzzling me, I
>post on Virtual Vairs, Fastvairs, CorvairCenter.com, or
>CorvairCentral.com.  CorvairCenter is great as many of us post nice
>color photo's with nearly instant response to questions, problems, and
>Vair rambling's.

Dale Dewald - continuous CORSA member since 1978
Hancock, (UP) MI

'65 Monza 110/4, '65 Greenbrier 110/4, '65 Corsa 140/4, '65 500 sedan
110/PG, '01 Dodge 2500 Quad SB Cummins/6-sp, '93 Jeep GC 4.0L/5-sp, '85
Jeep Cherokee 2.1L TD/5-sp